Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘webpart id’

Howdy guys,

It’s time for a new trouble report. It is a minor issue, but getting behind it was not trivial (in fact, I got there by chance 😉 ).

So, we had the following problem: When creating a page which was using a page layout with pre-added WebParts, it would throw an exception everytime we were trying to access that page, stating:

 

Cannot complete this Action.

 

Not much information, is it? Also, the stack trace did not really provide any helpful points for resolving the issue.

So, the next step clearly was to investigate the page layout in question. Using SP Designer 2007 I accessed the page layout and looked through the corresponding aspx.

Blog_PageLayout

 

Oh, wonder! I found two (different) webparts with the same id! Actually, this was the cause for the exception.

 

Solution: I just replaced the trailing “1” of AnotherWebPart’s id with a “2” (manually). And make sure the id you are giving won’t interfere with another existing web part (in our case, “YetAnotherWebPart’s id”).

 

I am aware there are multiple causes for the exception “Cannot complete this action.” – but if your pages show the same symptoms (exception occurs when trying to access the page with a specific layout, layout containing various webparts), then you might give it a shot!

Best regards and stay tuned till the next time!

Martin

Advertisements

Read Full Post »