Posted in Configuration, SharePoint 2010, tips, Web Application, Web Applications, tagged enable, error, exception, PerformancePoint Services, Proxy, Secure Store Service, service application, service application proxy group, SharePoint 2010, Site Actions, Site Collection Features, Site Settings on April 8, 2011|
2 Comments »
An error I ran recently across was the following. After creating a new SharePoint Server 2010 web application, I tried to activate the PerformancePoint Site Features. At first sight, everything seemed to be done in the correct order:
- PerformancePoint Service Application running
- Secure Store Service Application running
- Connection for PPS and SSS to my web application
- Site Collection created
I went on to my web application, then under:
Site Actions –> Site Settings –> Site Actions –> Manage site features
There I tried to activate the PerformancePoint Services Site Features. Tried. And failed. It failed with the following error messages:
So, the first message gave already a good hint. Off I went for the site collection features:
Site Actions –> Site Settings –> Site Collection Administration–> Site Collection Features
There, I had to enable both:
- SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure and
- PerformancePoint Services Site Collection Features
That did the trick! Now, returning to the site features, I was able to enable the PerformancePoint Services Site Features, and finally could create also KPIs, Scorecards and Dashboards.
More options for content creation after PerformancePoint Services have been enabled.
I hope this helps some of you with the same problem!
Read Full Post »
Posted in Customization, masterpage, MOSS 2007, Productivity, tips, tagged cannot complete this action, different webparts, error, exception, identical id's, page layout, SharePoint 2007, sp designer 2007, webpart, webpart id on September 17, 2010|
7 Comments »
It’s time for a new trouble report. It is a minor issue, but getting behind it was not trivial (in fact, I got there by chance 😉 ).
So, we had the following problem: When creating a page which was using a page layout with pre-added WebParts, it would throw an exception everytime we were trying to access that page, stating:
Cannot complete this Action.
Not much information, is it? Also, the stack trace did not really provide any helpful points for resolving the issue.
So, the next step clearly was to investigate the page layout in question. Using SP Designer 2007 I accessed the page layout and looked through the corresponding aspx.
Oh, wonder! I found two (different) webparts with the same id! Actually, this was the cause for the exception.
Solution: I just replaced the trailing “1” of AnotherWebPart’s id with a “2” (manually). And make sure the id you are giving won’t interfere with another existing web part (in our case, “YetAnotherWebPart’s id”).
I am aware there are multiple causes for the exception “Cannot complete this action.” – but if your pages show the same symptoms (exception occurs when trying to access the page with a specific layout, layout containing various webparts), then you might give it a shot!
Best regards and stay tuned till the next time!
Read Full Post »