Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘error’

Howdy again,

I encountered a problem during the installation of the prerequisites of SharePoint 2010 Enterprise. The installation of KB976462 failed, and so would eventually the whole prerequisites installer. The error message pointed me to the log file.

Here is an excerpt from the installation log:

2012-01-11 16:07:21 – Beginning download of Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB976462)
2012-01-11 16:07:21 –
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=166369
2012-01-11 16:07:23 – Size of download of "Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB976462)" in bytes is "4331740"
2012-01-11 16:07:23 – Download of "Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB976462)" completed successfully
2012-01-11 16:07:23 – Installing Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB976462)
2012-01-11 16:07:23 – "C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Users\xxx~1\AppData\Local\Temp\KB926A2.tmp.msu" /quiet /norestart
2012-01-11 16:07:26 – Install process returned (-2145124329)
2012-01-11 16:07:26 – [In HRESULT format] (-2145124329)
2012-01-11 16:07:26 – Last return code (-2145124329)
2012-01-11 16:07:26 – Error: The tool was unable to install Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB976462).
2012-01-11 16:07:26 – Last return code (-2145124329)
2012-01-11 16:07:26 – Options for further diagnostics: 1. Look up the return code value 2. Download the prerequisite manually and verify size downloaded by the prerequisite installer. 3. Install the prerequisite manually from the given location without any command line options.
2012-01-11 16:07:26 – Cannot retry

So, the solution is quite simple: You must download, extract and install the hotfix manually. The following 3 steps show how it works:

1. Download the KB976462 manually from here:

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/KB976462/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=4317

image

Choose the “x64” version of the msu file. Save it to a local directory: I used here C:\Installation\KB976462.

2. Open a command prompt and expand the msu file (make sure you open cmd with administrator rights)

expand -f:* "C:\Installation\KB976462\Windows6.1-KB976462-v2-x64.msu" %TEMP%

3. install using:

pkgmgr /n:%TEMP%\Windows6.1-KB976462-v2-x64.xml

 

All done! Re-run the prerequisites installer – it should finish with success, as expected.

 

Hope this was of some help!

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

Read Full Post »

Dear all,

 

An error I ran recently across was the following. After creating a new SharePoint Server 2010 web application, I tried to activate the PerformancePoint Site Features. At first sight, everything seemed to be done in the correct order:

 

  • PerformancePoint Service Application running
  • Secure Store Service Application running
  • Connection for PPS and SSS to my web application
  • Site Collection created

 

I went on to my web application, then under:

Site Actions –> Site Settings –> Site Actions –> Manage site features

There I tried to activate the PerformancePoint Services Site Features. Tried. And failed. It failed with the following error messages:

 

image

 

So, the first message gave already a good hint. Off I went for the site collection features:

 

Site Actions –> Site Settings –> Site Collection Administration–> Site Collection Features

 

There, I had to enable both:

  • SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure and
  • PerformancePoint Services Site Collection Features

 

That did the trick! Now, returning to the site features, I was able to enable the PerformancePoint Services Site Features, and finally could create also KPIs, Scorecards and Dashboards.

 

image

More options for content creation after PerformancePoint Services have been enabled.

 

I hope this helps some of you with the same problem!

Best regards,

Martin

Read Full Post »

Howdy guys,

It’s time for a new trouble report. It is a minor issue, but getting behind it was not trivial (in fact, I got there by chance 😉 ).

So, we had the following problem: When creating a page which was using a page layout with pre-added WebParts, it would throw an exception everytime we were trying to access that page, stating:

 

Cannot complete this Action.

 

Not much information, is it? Also, the stack trace did not really provide any helpful points for resolving the issue.

So, the next step clearly was to investigate the page layout in question. Using SP Designer 2007 I accessed the page layout and looked through the corresponding aspx.

Blog_PageLayout

 

Oh, wonder! I found two (different) webparts with the same id! Actually, this was the cause for the exception.

 

Solution: I just replaced the trailing “1” of AnotherWebPart’s id with a “2” (manually). And make sure the id you are giving won’t interfere with another existing web part (in our case, “YetAnotherWebPart’s id”).

 

I am aware there are multiple causes for the exception “Cannot complete this action.” – but if your pages show the same symptoms (exception occurs when trying to access the page with a specific layout, layout containing various webparts), then you might give it a shot!

Best regards and stay tuned till the next time!

Martin

Read Full Post »