one of the definitely nicest features of the Service Pack 1 for SharePoint Server 2010 is the ability to restore single sites, which wasn’t possible before.
Procedure for restoring a site pre-SP1:
- Restore entire farm from backup.
Drawbacks: Time consuming, costly. Most of the times not performed at all.
Procedure for restoring a site post-SP1:
- Ensure user is a site collection administrator
- Go to Site Actions –> Site Actions
- Click Site Collection Administration
- Click Recylce Bin
- Check the site you want to restore and click Restore.
Quick and simple, isn’t it?
In Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 w/ SP1, a deleted site is not permanently deleted, but moved to the 2nd stage Recycle Bin. The default setting for automatic deletion is 30 days – however, this is modifyable. You can see how to do these changes here:
Restoring whole Site Collections:
You can use the following PowerShell cmdlets to restore, delete or view deleted site collections:
Stay tuned till the next time and best regards,